Sunday, August 24, 2008

Brigham City Utah

I continue to progress northward to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, though I have one more day to go before exiting Utah. I have put in some decent mileage the past couple days (over 200 total) and have been able to take it easy as the terrain has been flat.
Most of the rest of the trip will be a letdown after experiencing the majestic Route 12, but today was particularly bland. I rode through the sprawl of Salt Lake City that runs from Lehi and tapers off just before Brigham City, where I am staying. The day was filled with traffic lights, a couple oil refineries, strip malls, and car dealerships. Additionally, I had a particularly vexing flat tire that took about an hour to fix in the 100 degree heat. Baking in the sun was frustrating and tiring as I monkeyed around patching and repatching the inner tube after discovering there were two punctures. This was my third flat of the past two days which added to the frustration. I have always experienced flats in bunches so this recent cluster was not surprising.
There were a number of bright spots today, in the form of humans. First, a few miles into the ride I encountered the first cyclist of the entire trip who was traveling in the same direction as me. It was a great way to start the day since interaction with fellow cyclists has been nearly non-existent. Next, while attempting the fix my flat (and down to the last patch in my patch kit), an incredibly helpful cyclist name Michael lent me his spare tube and patch kit and took me to a novel vending machine filled with bike parts. Michael was a godsend and I was able to quickly get back on the road. Finally, while doing my evening grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, I met a fellow cyclist while checking out the disappointing inventory of bicycle inner tubes. Realizing that I needed some inner tubes, he brought three tubes from his own personal stash to my motel room and gave me some tips for tomorrow's route. It was an extremely generous gesture and I could not have asked for anything more.
Another positive about today's ride is that it was the first ride since this trip started where I didn't have any pain while riding. During the past few days I have had some lingering, though brief, twinges of pain when climbing. I have been working to get back to my original pedal stroke, being sure to undo the compensations I used over the past weeks to deal with various injuries. I think I have finally undone all the compensations, and the compensations for the compensations, so that I am back to my original pedal stroke. However, today's ride was particularly easy and I may feel something on tomorrow's climb, but cycling pain free was a welcome change.

Tomorrow should be a good, though tough ride as I cut across the Wasatch Mountains and eventually end up in Idaho.

2 comments:

Pastor Dave said...

Ben,

Dave Hiester here [the guy who ran those tubes over]. It was good to run into you, and I'm glad that I could help. I too know what it's like to ride with knee pain. Given where you're headed, and the climb that lies ahead [some 3000 feet I think], I wanted you to know I'll be praying for you. Of course you'll read this after you're day is over...so know, that throughout the day, I have been praying for you. I'm not sure where you are on the "prayer thing," but it's a part of who I am...as a pastor. I never go the chance to mention that [in fact I often hesitate, as many folks these days get squirrelly in the presence of a pastor...]. But for what it's worth, and given the journey that lies ahead, know that I'll be praying for you, your health, and the chapters in your life that lie ahead. Congratulations on your graduation, and good luck with the testing.

Pastor Dave

Ben Lesnak said...

Thanks again for the tubes and for the prayers! The climb went well and the view and the speedy downhill section at the end were rewarding.