Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Ride has Begun

Well, after a couple months of planning this odyssey, it is finally underway.
I am currently in Morro Bay, a small town on the coast of California.
I did about 40 miles the first day, due to a later start and some mechanical issues, and darkness. I suffered a freak injury to a tendon in my knee on the first day - I have no idea what I did, but I have been largely pedaling with one leg. This is not so bad on the flat sections, but it was relatively hellish on a 7 mile, 7% (steep) climb late Monday afternoon. Monday ended well, as I finished my first century (100 miles) every. On Tuesday, the right knee did not get any worse, though various parts of the left leg have started protesting its increased workload.
In any case, I put in about 100 miles per day the last couple days.

I have ridden mainly on the California coast, and a little bit of the interior as well. The scenery is unreal and California loves bicyclists as they mark the coastal route and most of the route is served by some sort of a bike lane. The people have also been very welcoming and helpful.

Unfortunately I have no ride files or pictures to upload as I am on a borrowed computer - I will post them when I get a chance. Most of towns I go through are small and business ends before 6pm, making computer access difficult. The next few stopping points are small towns (Big Sur, and then into the mountainous interior no-man's land) so access will likely not improve.

All in all, things are going well. I am happy to have put in a couple hundred miles so far, despite my various maladies which would have deserved some days off if I were training at home. So far the mind gets what it wants, regardless of what excuses the body has come up with.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Hi Ben...sorry your trip has been interrupted by injuries but it will give you a chance to enjoy the Pacific coast...some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Your trip sounds like a once in a lifetime experience...and it my be many years before you have this kind of free time again. I understand they work new attorneys long and hard for the first couple of years. I'll be reading your blog as you travel. Be careful and safe. Love, Leslie