Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Interstate Riding and a visit to Quarq

I have been informed by headquarters (my mom) that I need to put in some serious mileage to make it back in time. That, coupled with the lack of roads in Wyoming, meant that I would be taking the interstate. Yes, Wyoming allows bikes on their interstate (as does South Dakota). Interstate riding is actually not too bad as the wide shoulder with rumble strip provides ample protection and the passing trucks give a much-appreciated tailwind.
The interstate's smooth grades (4% max) means speed, and speed means miles (130 or so today). I averaged about 20mph today in my ride from Gillette to Blackhawk, SD. All went well except for the part where there was construction that turned the interstate into a mini section of cobbles, reminiscent of the Paris-Roubaix bicycle race. Another section of construction meant that the paved road was completely replaced with a dirt road. Neat.

In Spearfish, SD I stopped by the manufacturer of the Cinqo power meter on my bike, Quarq. Their power meter is a great device that measure how much power (in watts) I produce when pedaling. It is the best method to determine the intensity of my efforts as it is unaffected by wind or hills or any other variables. The power meter also determines the amount of work (in kilojoules) that I do. This number can be converted to approximate the number of calories that I burn so that I make sure I am eating the proper amount of food. Additionally, it helps me meter my efforts so I do not burn out. Also, when I am not putting up watts like I should, it is time to take it easy for a few days or take a day off.
I was treated to a full tour by Jim and Mieke Meyer, the dynamic duo that run Quarq (http://www.quarq.us). They have an impressive operation and it was neat to see all the testing and prep that went into making the device that is on my bike. Additionally, they hooked me up with a new cadence magnet (which I lost in Mariposa), a chain cleaning, a firmware upgrade, a new battery for the meter, Clif bars, and a new mount for the Drunken Lieutenant (the Garmin 705 Bicycle GPS computer).

No comments: