Monday, September 15, 2008

No more miles...

I think the ride has come to an end. I had to stop riding last Wednesday because of tendonitis in my right achilles tendon. Conveniently, the irritation set in near Jefferson City, MO. I stopped shortly after feeling the problem set in and headed to Clarksville, TN via train and bus and spent a couple days resting with my dad. I went for a short morning ride and my achilles felt great, but I was only able to get in 30 miles on Saturday before it felt like I was about to do more damage to it. On Sunday, after about 3 miles, the same feeling set in. I thought that I would be able to head off the problem by stopping early like I did and getting in some good rest, but it was not meant to be. Currently the achilles seems to have regressed and anything other than walking on flat ground irritates it.
Up until the injury, I had not had a day completely off the bike since Las Vegas. In retrospect, a couple of rest days somewhere along the way would have made sense but I didn't feel the need for the them. I felt really good ever since Yellowstone- no tiredness in the legs and never any lingering effects from the increase in miles. Even on the morning of my injury I felt like I was getting stronger and ready to push harder.
I have certainly had a great trip, around 3200 miles total on the bike. I hope that you have enjoyed following along. I will update this site with many more pictures and information (stats) about the rides and the routes.

Thanks-Ben

No comments: